Aeon PW
All

It has been a good run with Aeon, but all things run their course and come to an end. I have watched Aeon slowly grow then die off as people moved onto other interests or found worlds that appeal to them more. Instead of leaving the server up and running empty, I have decided to turn off the server and close the player portion of the forums.

I would like to thank those that have put in their time and effort, either as DM's, builders or players. Without your efforts a world can not exist or grow into something more than a concept.

So what next, for me I am not sure, perhaps I shall learn something else perhaps not. I do know my power bill will be smaller next month, so out of sad endings a positive comes.

Goodbye and Goodluck.

Sporaxis
Aeon PW
All

It has been a good run with Aeon, but all things run their course and come to an end. I have watched Aeon slowly grow then die off as people moved onto other interests or found worlds that appeal to them more. Instead of leaving the server up and running empty, I have decided to turn off the server and close the player portion of the forums.

I would like to thank those that have put in their time and effort, either as DM's, builders or players. Without your efforts a world can not exist or grow into something more than a concept.

So what next, for me I am not sure, perhaps I shall learn something else perhaps not. I do know my power bill will be smaller next month, so out of sad endings a positive comes.

Goodbye and Goodluck.

Sporaxis
Aeon PW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aeon PW a Never Winter Nights 1, Persistent World.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ackptuoi

ackptuoi

Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) Empty
PostSubject: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 6:58 am

*sighs* after being forced onto Vista due to burglary, I am trying to get NWN 1 running on the brand new notebook I have.

So far NWN installed and 1.69 patched and when I run it I get to the menu and click play, up comes the NWN symbol in a box and then it dies with no apparent effect.

Anyone able to give me some pointers on where to start changing stuff to make it work?

I am technically minded but have avoided Vista like the plague and aint got a clue where to start.
(I will jump on the discounted upgrade to windows 7 when it comes round)

Lets see specs that might help?
Pentium dual core t4200 @ 2Ghz
4Gb Ram
Windows Vista Home premium

Last edited by ackptuoi on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hino

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 6:59 am

I am no Vista expert, but are you set up as administrator?(stupid question, I know)
Back to top Go down
ackptuoi

ackptuoi

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 7:00 am

oh yeah and I can't download the DOA something bunch of haks.
Back to top Go down
ackptuoi

ackptuoi

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 7:09 am

Hmm mostly running lol... set compatability for every bleeding exe there to xp serv pack 2 lol

Anyone able to email me the DOA hak pack?
Back to top Go down
Jamoise

Jamoise

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 7:57 am

if you have a dual core, set processor affinity to just one of the cores when the program is running, else it will run like an absolute dog, due to the fact that there were no multicore processors around when nwn was about.

IE, bring up task manager, with nwn running, alt tab to the desktop and go to your task manager then go to processes, right click on nwn.exe and set affinity, and deselect all but one core.

other than that, the only thing I had to do, is make sure to run the game as administrator, and set compatability to windows xp in the games shortcut.

Also you do realise that, windows 7 is still vista, with a few kernel enhancements and a bit of the flab removed? pretty much, theres not going to be as much of a backlash over windows 7 as windows vista had, because basically the operating system has already been out for 3 years under the name vista and almost everything that runs on vista will run on windows 7.
Back to top Go down
ackptuoi

ackptuoi

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 8:09 am

Thanks! couldn't find the affinity thing anywhere and I am being really lazy.

Downloaded the full hak pack set without problems.

As for windows 7 vs vista... there are way fewer problems from migrating custom/legacy apps from XP to Win 7 as there were going to be for XP to Vista. Not entirely sure why, I only read the reports lol I don't get to do sooooo much of the fun stuff any more.
Back to top Go down
Jamoise

Jamoise

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 8:16 am

heres why they think that, there is this program called Virtual PC that microsoft have, that works on all their operating systems, it allows you to run any other operating system from a window, essentially, you could be in windows vista, and load up the program, and then you can have a window, with windows xp loading up in it and another entire operating system to use.

with windows 7, you will need to have windows xp installed in one of these virtual pcs, then, when you install programs in windows 7, it will also put a shortcut to these virtual pcs, and when you run the program in windows xp compat mode, it will then load up this virutal xp and run the program from within this virutal xp, you will be running a seperate copy of windows xp in your windows 7 operating system, just to run your outdated xp programs for maximum compatability. you could do this on windows vista already, but you just didn't have the conveniance of having a shortcut that did all the work for you.

oh! and you still need a legit copy of windows xp, to use as the virutal one anyway, if your keeping everything legal of course Wink

Last edited by Jamoise on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ackptuoi

ackptuoi

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 8:23 am

Oh I know about the virtual pc stuff I do get to test code drops for a couple of things before we get them. I won't log into my work notebook to check (I am at home today) but I remember the virtual xp machine options not being needed for a couple of annoyingly needed applications. I am still loading haks... but if not changing the affinity means it runs like a dog... then changing it should make it fly Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Andy B

Andy B

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 3:11 pm

I'v had it running fine on Vista for almost 2 years now, and apart from some early issues, haven't really had any trouble for a long time.

CPU affinity stuff that I touched was just in the ini files. In nwnplayer.ini I have "Client CPU Affinity=1", and in nwtoolset.ini I have "CPU Affinity=0". That seems to work fine for me (even having both open at once).
Back to top Go down
ackptuoi

ackptuoi

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 2:45 am

I haven't set the affinity yet, but if the way it runs now is "Running like a dog" then fixing it will be positively disgusting, in a good way.

*chuckles*

Finally got all the haks and CEPs and so on for the second time since Vista... managed to um delete a parent folder not a child folder and wiped out 3GB of various downloads lol.
Back to top Go down
Andy B

Andy B

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 1:03 pm

Yes, the affinity thing should make a huge difference (mine was really slow with default settings too).
Back to top Go down
sporaxis
Admin
sporaxis

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 8:41 am

Well running NWN under Windows 7 and it runs like a dream. Have a new Vaio 13.1inch notebook and it eats up NWN and the toolset without issue. Incidently Dragon Age runs well on it as well.
I like Win7, pisses on Vista.
Back to top Go down
http://sporaxis.blogspot.com
Jamoise

Jamoise

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 8:43 am

Have you used Vista much?
Back to top Go down
sporaxis
Admin
sporaxis

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 10:47 am

Yup, played with Vista last year, toshiba notebook and main desktop had it. Didn't have any issues running NWN on them.
Back to top Go down
Jamoise

Jamoise

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 am

Ive been running it on my main pc for 2 years now, no issues either, I will admit Windows 7 works better for me, but then I like having no bells and whistles and running my system a bit lighter (IE windows 7 doesn't come with an email client, but then I don't use one, I just use windows live messanger and web based ones) but for people who we get into our store who say to me "I'm computer illiterate", or was their first pc and had not had much experiance with XP before, all tell me they like vista and its easy for them to use.

I had one person recently come to me with their laptop with vista on it, they had been using it for probably 2 years, and they asked me if we could put windows 7 on it, cause they Hate Vista, I asked them why they hate it, just because I was interested to know what they didn't like about it.. and they couldn't tell me, in the end they just said, "because everyone else does" .... sheep mentality much?! I mentioned to her that Windows 7 was based on vista, its just had a few interface upgrades, and a bit lighter bloatware.

my story for the day.. brought to you by ID 10 T errors incorporated Wink
Back to top Go down
sporaxis
Admin
sporaxis

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 12:20 pm

I think we need an ID 10 T error thread
Back to top Go down
Andy B

Andy B

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Jamoise wrote:
I mentioned to her that Windows 7 was based on vista, its just had a few interface upgrades, and a bit lighter bloatware.

That's my take on Windows 7 too - just so much negative media on Vista that they decided to 'pretend' it was something new rather than just keep modifying Vista. No troubles with Vista for me in last 2 yeras either so I'm happy to stay where I am.
Back to top Go down
ackptuoi

ackptuoi

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 3:14 pm

Well vista is working for me but then it's a new laptop... the old one woulda died with it. I will be using the cheap win 7 upgrade option though... soon as I can be bothered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)   Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is) Empty

Back to top Go down

Sooo NWN and vista... how the eff do I get it to work lol (sorta is)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aeon PW :: Player Discussion Area :: Aeon - Out of Character (OOC)-
Jump to: