Aeon PW
All

It has been a good run with Aeon, but all things run their course and come to an end. I have watched Aeon slowly grow then die off as people moved onto other interests or found worlds that appeal to them more. Instead of leaving the server up and running empty, I have decided to turn off the server and close the player portion of the forums.

I would like to thank those that have put in their time and effort, either as DM's, builders or players. Without your efforts a world can not exist or grow into something more than a concept.

So what next, for me I am not sure, perhaps I shall learn something else perhaps not. I do know my power bill will be smaller next month, so out of sad endings a positive comes.

Goodbye and Goodluck.

Sporaxis
Aeon PW
All

It has been a good run with Aeon, but all things run their course and come to an end. I have watched Aeon slowly grow then die off as people moved onto other interests or found worlds that appeal to them more. Instead of leaving the server up and running empty, I have decided to turn off the server and close the player portion of the forums.

I would like to thank those that have put in their time and effort, either as DM's, builders or players. Without your efforts a world can not exist or grow into something more than a concept.

So what next, for me I am not sure, perhaps I shall learn something else perhaps not. I do know my power bill will be smaller next month, so out of sad endings a positive comes.

Goodbye and Goodluck.

Sporaxis
Aeon PW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aeon PW a Never Winter Nights 1, Persistent World.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Email Virus

Go down 
+2
Mr_Grumble
Charity
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Charity

Charity

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of an email virus? I seem to have caught an annoying one that sends spam to everyone on your contact list asking them to buy an iphone. Email Virus Icon_rolleyes So if some of you got an email from me regarding that; it isn't me!

I think I must have caught it when a contact sent one to me and I opened it not realising what it was. Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Mr_Grumble

Mr_Grumble

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Yeah sorry about that... my bad Sad

I haven't had any issues lately however.
Back to top Go down
Charity

Charity

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Wasn't you actually; it was Sangreal.

My virus checker hasn't found anything, so maybe it's a one off hit.
Back to top Go down
DM_Phaedrus

DM_Phaedrus

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:52 am

it might be malware as opposed to a virus. Try Ad Aware or SpyBot search and destroy.

What Anti virus are you using?
Back to top Go down
Jamoise

Jamoise

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:48 am

Superantispyware or malwarebytes are also good spyware removal tools, if you do install spybot S&D, don't install "tea timer" its the most annoying addon ever created, much like zonealarm, and your normal computer user won't even know when to say yes or no to a prompt, even I have trouble fathoming the scale of prompts each of these programs shoves in your face >.>
Back to top Go down
Charity

Charity

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 4:55 am

I have avast antivirus.

I have Spybot too. I thought I had teatimer, but it seems to have been disabled. Probably 'cause it was too annoying. XD

Whatever it is has now wiped my hotmail and messenger contact list. Sad

Edit: Ah teatimer is set to block bad pages silently. I'm running a Spybot scan, so hopefully it can fix something. Spybot hasn't found any bad stuff in ages, so I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
Charity

Charity

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 7:23 am

Spybot found nothing and I can't get my contacts back. Argh.
Back to top Go down
Caffiene

Caffiene

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 7:34 am

Hmm. Two things Id try are looking in your startup list and currently running processes.
These sort of things often run in the background and leave traces.

If you can find any items that you arent sure about in either list, you can google them to check what they are and potentially identify what virus/malware you have.

(Spybot has options to let you view both - look for "Process List" and "System Startup" under the Tools menu in Advanced Mode)
Back to top Go down
Jamoise

Jamoise

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 8:01 am

also if your infected already, and its a bad one, then it will most likely be blocking any downloads for your antivirus/antispyware programs, have you updated spybot S&D before you did a scan, if so, did it update correctly?

Id also try downloading and installing/updating malwarebytes.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

theres also a relatively surefire method of removing virus/spyware that is almost 99% guarnteed of removing your spyware/virus infection without needing to reformat. but im hesitant to suggest unless nothing else is working. apparently theres a very small chance that if the rootkit/virus/spyware infection has infected a file that windows requires to startup, this program may remove it and cause you not to be able to get back into windows without major intervention.
Back to top Go down
Charity

Charity

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:20 pm

Ran Startup checker and removed a few unnecessary things. Ran registry and disk cleaner. Downloaded malwarebytes and it found something that was blocking my PC's security, so hopefully that was it.

Imported my contacts from Facebook, so got most of them back. Still getting emails from people on my contact list congratulating me on my iphone purchase rofl. Was embarrassing when I got a phone call from my doctor about it. Email Virus Icon_redface

Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Jamoise

Jamoise

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:24 pm

its very strange that you lost hotmail contacts, as they are kept on a microsoft server, not on your home pc.
Back to top Go down
Charity

Charity

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:52 pm

Yeah no idea how that happened. I opened up messenger and it told me I had no messenger contacts, so I tried to import them from hotmail and it told me I had no hotmail contacts either lol.
Back to top Go down
mykael

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 am

Another good trick for dealing with viruses and the like is to reboot in safe mode to run the scanning and removal tools. This may prevent the virus from being loaded and becoming active.
Back to top Go down
Charity

Charity

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks, although I hope I don't need to use the tip hehe.

Hey is the chatbox on the front page gone or is it just not showing up for me?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Email Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email Virus   Email Virus Empty

Back to top Go down

Email Virus
Page 1 of 1